Author Topic: NES plug-in prototype created and working (last update: 2016-12-11)  (Read 18375 times)

Offline Ice Man

• Baby Retrode
    • View Profile
Got my Kazzo back, measured and it's 9cm for 36 pins.

Offline Wannado

• Junior Retrode
    • View Profile
That sounds great. Thank you, Ice Man! :)

Offline Ice Man

• Baby Retrode
    • View Profile
You're welcome. Hope it works out with this connector. Would love to hear any news. :D

Offline EvilDragon

• Junior Retrode
    • View Profile
That's great!
I haven't done much with Tototek yet, but I'm sure they'll sell it for cheaper prices as well, if I buy 1k of them.

I just ordered the PCB for more N64, SMS and GBx-Plugins, so whenever you're ready for a NES-Plugin, I'm happy to produce it as well :D

Offline EvilDragon

• Junior Retrode
    • View Profile
BTW: Morethanall (which is where we get the SMS connectors) also have 2.5mm 72pin connectors:

http://www.morethanall.com/upload/products_pdf/1831725386541640ff59ee8.pdf
http://www.morethanall.com/upload/products_pdf/63739209054d1b129d8f60.pdf

They don't have 90° angled ones. though.

Offline Matthias_H

• Retrode Forum Techie
  • A Retrode Hero
    • View Profile
Last time I inquired they said that those weren't available (though they might change their mind when an order of 10kpcs comes in)
http://www.retrode.org

I no longer sell the Retrode. For sales inquiries, please contact our friends at DragonBox.

Offline ShoothimNow

• Baby Retrode
    • View Profile
This is going to sound stupid (and I already apologize a ton before even asking it)... but....

Upon reading the updates, I spotted : battery flag issue

Would there be a way to... indicate how much life is left on a battery?  I am the furthest thing from an electrical engineer, but I had to make an account and ask.

I already feel like a fool asking  :-X

Offline Wannado

• Junior Retrode
    • View Profile
The game cartridge provides no suitable connection that would allow the Retrode to directly sense the presence of the battery, measure its voltage, etc.

The battery is supposed to power only the save RAM, not the other ICs of the cartridge. Also, it must not be "charged" by the regular supply voltage from the NES/... (there is at least one diode in the cartridge to prevent this). I therefore believe that the battery is "isolated" so that its voltage cannot be measured through the cartridge connector, not even at the cartridge's power supply pins.

The Retrode can only look at the data in the game's RAM and make a guess if that's meaningful game data (battery backed) or just what that particular RAM chip likes to initialize with.

Offline ShoothimNow

• Baby Retrode
    • View Profile
Like I said, it was a terribly stupid question =) Thanks Wannado =)