Author Topic: Game Gear Roms Not Detecting Correct Size  (Read 56 times)

Offline RazorX2014

• Junior Retrode
    • View Profile
Game Gear Roms Not Detecting Correct Size
« on: 13/Sep/2017 02:07:38 PM »
hey guys i decided to dump all my game gear games today (i dont have many) and these two games didnt detect the correct size.

Garfield - Caught In The Act.gg       - Detected 256KB, Actual Size Is 1024KB
Sonic The Hedgehog 2.gg               - Detected 256KB, Actual Size Is 512KB

anyone know of anymore? and yes the option to force the size worked so i do have working dumps now.
« Last Edit: 13/Sep/2017 03:41:18 PM by RazorX2014 »

Offline skaman

• Junior Retrode
    • View Profile
Re: Game Gear Roms Not Detecting Correct Size
« Reply #1 on: 14/Sep/2017 07:32:27 PM »
I'm not familiar with Game Gear ROMs but I took a quick look.

The lower nibble that identifies the size for both carts is 0 which indicates size 256KB. 

Is there a need to add a check for larger ROMs when size = 0?

Offline RazorX2014

• Junior Retrode
    • View Profile
Re: Game Gear Roms Not Detecting Correct Size
« Reply #2 on: 14/Sep/2017 08:22:01 PM »
I'm not familiar with Game Gear ROMs but I took a quick look.

The lower nibble that identifies the size for both carts is 0 which indicates size 256KB. 

Is there a need to add a check for larger ROMs when size = 0?

the roms i dumped that were undersized would not work at all on an emulator despite HxD saying they were identical but the incorrect size and it wasnt until i forced the size to the correct amount (as mentioned above) the emulator actually ran it perfectly.

so if possible yes when set to default (0) please add a check so it can detect larger roms sizes, there is only two rom sizes above 256kb and thats 512kb (ending 7FFF0) and 1024kb (ending FFFF0)

i see 0 as the default option and would hope the retrode would do what it can to make sure my roms for any console are the correct size and the option to force a size should only be used if the default setting fails but bare in mind for most people there not gonna know its failing because the rom is undersized so there can be confusion there.
« Last Edit: 14/Sep/2017 08:28:18 PM by RazorX2014 »