Author Topic: Connecting official N64 controllers to Retrode 2  (Read 258 times)

Offline RocknRollTim

• Baby Retrode
    • View Profile
Connecting official N64 controllers to Retrode 2
« on: 10/Aug/2018 08:49:46 PM »
Hi all,

Hope you can help. I have got a Retrode 2 which I want to connect my official N64 controllers in order to play my N64 games. I have purchased the N64 plugin for the Retrode 2 but cannot find any ports to support the N64 controllers on the N64 plugin. I thought there were ports on the N64 plugin to support N64 controllers? Is there any other way in order for me to connect my N64 controllers to my Retrode 2? Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Offline skaman

• Global Moderator
  • Sgt. Retrode
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting official N64 controllers to Retrode 2
« Reply #1 on: 10/Aug/2018 09:23:36 PM »
You can get an N64 controller extension cable and cut it.  Solder the wires to the plugin PCB.  You'll need to also solder 220R resistors onto the board.

More details here: 
http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,375.0.html
http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,386.0.html
« Last Edit: 15/Aug/2018 04:17:32 PM by skaman »

Offline RocknRollTim

• Baby Retrode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/Aug/2018 07:59:46 PM »
Hi skaman,

Thank you for responding to my forum thread and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I will take your answer as a solution.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim

Offline ssokolow

• Junior Retrode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/Sep/2018 01:00:04 AM »
Hi skaman,

Thank you for responding to my forum thread and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I will take your answer as a solution.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim

Another option, if you don't feel comfortable modifying your N64 plugin or want to connect more than two N64 controllers, is to buy a Mayflash N64 Controller Adapter like this:

New Nintendo 64 Controller Adapter for PC Mac Dual USB to N64 Mayflash 2 Port

That eBay listing has them for $16.50 US with free worldwide shipping and mine works beautifully on my Linux machine. (I bought a Retrode when they still had a ready supply of N64 controller connectors to pre-install, but I like to keep my Retrode disconnected and boxed up when I'm not actually dumping ROMs, so I use the Mayflash for day-to-day play instead.)

If the seller stops re-listing it, you're looking for a Mayflash-branded USB-to-N64 controller adapter in a blister pack with a white and spring-green cardboard back. The adapter itself is black, with two N64 connectors side-by-side on the front and a USB cable out the back. I can take a photo of mine if that's not enough.
« Last Edit: 17/Sep/2018 01:05:22 AM by ssokolow »