Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Need a bit of help making a Mark III adapter
« Last post by hadess on Today at 11:41:50 AM »
Just needs a nice sticker now :)

(I've made such a sticker for the SMS/GG combo, after cutting up a Megadrive case as well, I'll post it once I've actually printed it out for testing)
General Discussion / Re: Need a bit of help making a Mark III adapter
« Last post by skaman on Today at 11:36:44 AM »
Here's a few pics with a handcut shell.

One nice thing with the Mark III Plugin is that the Card Catcher works with it.  I've tested a Sega MyCard and a Sega Card.

General Discussion / Re: N64 Save Support (FW v0.23)
« Last post by Eureka on Today at 03:01:54 AM »
The Majora cart is the original NTSC release with the lenticular label. "Savereadonly" is already set to 1. I'm using Retrode 2 and the plugin built specifically for N64 carts (the one that says "Plug-In 64" on the label). I don't understand the "files" question.

I put the saves in the "Save" folder of Project64; it's where it gets them from. But I get a "Failed to open EEPROM" message when I try to use them.

You mentioned something about setting the voltage to 3.3V; that is something I forgot to do the first time. But when I dumped the saves again on the correct setting, I got the same results. The Majora cart did finally detect a save, though.

Of course it's an .FLA which means I can't test it immediately. That save-altering program you linked to is all Greek to me -- I have little experience with command line programs so I don't know how to use it. I do know that the .EEP files don't work.

Sorry,  I missed this reply.

Now that you can see the Majora's Mask save, you'll need to saveswap it to run on PJ64.

When using save files on PJ64:
1)  Make sure that the save file is in the PJ64 SAVE folder and that it is properly named.
2)  Make sure that the READ-ONLY attribute is unchecked on the save file in the SAVE folder.

Good Luck!
The Read-Only box was the big problem. Now the saves work. Thanks very much.

NOW I NEVER HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN!
« Last post by Knight of Time on 15/Nov/2017 10:56:43 PM »
This is wonderful, thank you so much Skaman.

Perhaps someday I'll buy one of the N64 plugins for my Retrode2 before I purchase a Nintendo 64 (there are some games I'm definitely planning to buy to test with the plugin, and one is definitely going to be Mario Kart 64).  I think 2018 will be that time.
Support / Re: SNES controller support, Linux
« Last post by Aleron Ives on 15/Nov/2017 09:51:38 AM »
Fedora 26's current kernel is a 4.13 kernel.
I was talking about the kernel Fedora 26 ships with. Kernel updates are, IME, a risky venture, even though you can ostensibly roll back to a previous kernel if something goes wrong with the new one.

Is that clearer than my previous comment?
Yep. Hopefully I can get the driver on github to compile and run under Mint. ;D
Support / Re: SNES controller support, Linux
« Last post by hadess on 15/Nov/2017 12:38:49 AM »
Bummer. Even Fedora 26 only has 4.11, and Debian-based distros are further behind. Linux Mint won't let you get 4.12 from the update manager, so you'd have to manually install it.

Fedora 26's current kernel is a 4.13 kernel. You can see the module right there, in F26's latest kernel update:
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?fileStart=400&rpmID=12007155&fileOrder=name&buildrootOrder=-id&buildrootStart=0#filelist

I guess I don't understand why a special driver is needed, though. I thought the Retrode displayed controllers as HID-compliant devices for the specific purpose of making sure that you wouldn't need a special driver to use them.

It shows up as a single joypad with tons of buttons without a driver, which works fine if you can remap all the buttons, but not easy to work with, and impossible to do in some games and emulators.

The driver splits it up into 4 separate joypads with nice names and a device for the SNES mouse if you have one, and want to use it for emulating Mario Paint, for maximum immersion :) Is that clearer than my previous comment?
General Discussion / Re: Helper script for updating Retrode firmware on Linux
« Last post by Lennart on 13/Nov/2017 07:07:38 PM »
I tried out this script on my Mac with macOS Sierra (10.12.6) and it successfully updated my Retrode 2 to the 0.23 firmware. Thanks! :)
« Last post by skaman on 13/Nov/2017 03:51:04 AM »
The Majora cart is the original NTSC release with the lenticular label. "Savereadonly" is already set to 1. I'm using Retrode 2 and the plugin built specifically for N64 carts (the one that says "Plug-In 64" on the label). I don't understand the "files" question.

I put the saves in the "Save" folder of Project64; it's where it gets them from. But I get a "Failed to open EEPROM" message when I try to use them.

You mentioned something about setting the voltage to 3.3V; that is something I forgot to do the first time. But when I dumped the saves again on the correct setting, I got the same results. The Majora cart did finally detect a save, though.

Of course it's an .FLA which means I can't test it immediately. That save-altering program you linked to is all Greek to me -- I have little experience with command line programs so I don't know how to use it. I do know that the .EEP files don't work.

Sorry,  I missed this reply.

Now that you can see the Majora's Mask save, you'll need to saveswap it to run on PJ64.

When using save files on PJ64:
1)  Make sure that the save file is in the PJ64 SAVE folder and that it is properly named.
2)  Make sure that the READ-ONLY attribute is unchecked on the save file in the SAVE folder.

Good Luck!
« Last post by ssokolow on 13/Nov/2017 01:05:53 AM »
Thank you SO MUCH for figuring this out! My N64 plugin finally works and I can archive my cart saves to PC!

I do have to report that, after testing all the carts I own, Retrode did not detect a save file on my Majora's Mask cart.

EDIT: You said .EEP files didn't need to be altered in any way to work with emulators; this doesn't appear to be the case. Project64 couldn't read any of them.

Which region/version of Majora's Mask is the cart?  Try setting [saveReadonly] to 1 then read the Majora's Mask cart.

Do the .EEP files contain data or all FFs?  Are you using the early N64/GBx plugin or the later N64 plugin?

I've got a gold, lenticular NTSC Majora's Mask, so I took the liberty of testing it with Retrode firmware v0.23, my Plug-in64 adapter, the 3.3v setting, and the "[saveReadonly] 1" that I just leave on all the time.

I play whatever I can with Mupen64Plus, so I only have Project64 2.2.0.3 installed in Wine right now, but my and my brother's old save files appeared and loaded just fine when I did the following:

1. Copy "ZeldaMajora'sMask.NZSE.fla" from the Retrode to /home/ssokolow/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Project64 2.2/Save
2. Rename the save file to "ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK.fla"
3. Unset the read-only attribute that the Retrode puts on it
4. Run "saveswap.py ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK.fla" in the terminal

(Mine doesn't have a GUI yet, but ED64-Saveswap does if you want something simpler. As for the name to rename it to, create a new save in your game and see what filename appears in Project64's Save folder.)
« Last post by skaman on 08/Nov/2017 09:48:52 PM »
Yes, single wire from CLOCK pin to the cart edge connector.

I was going to do the mod anyway since the CLOCK is needed for the GG EEPROM save carts.  I didn't know about it also being needed for some Codemasters carts.

The SMS connector also lacks the CLOCK connection.  I'm waiting on a SMS Codemasters cart to check before I add that connection.

I'll document everything if I get it working.  I'm going to release the SMS/GG BETA as is since it isn't my code that is the problem.  If I can get the CLOCK mod working then I'll release an updated BETA with any code changes.

I opened up a GG EEPROM cart (World Series Baseball) and it doesn't use the CLOCK pin.  The SK pin for the EEPROM is connected to the SEGA 315-5557 chip.  The !RESET pin from the cart edge is also connected to the 315-5557 chip.  I'll have to connect my logic analyzer to the chips and see what is going on.

I haven't opened up the problem GG Codemasters cart as I've read that they are difficult to open without damaging them.  I've seen scans of the PCB and the CLOCK pin is connected.  I might build a passthru interface to plug into the GG so that I don't have to open the carts to capture the data.

More testing to do...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10