Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Okay, I just got the GBx plugin I ordered last week, now, being as I have a save of Pokemon Silver on the computer (it's just one of a few saves for some Game Boy (Color) games I have on the computer), how can I successfully get it onto the Pokemon Silver cartridge?  I thought this whole process would be easy, but it's apparently not as easy as I thought (maybe this save problem with Pokemon Gold & Silver wasn't really fixed yet?).

Edit: I managed to find success with getting a save onto my Pokemon Silver cartridge from the computer, but now each time I make a save on my Pokemon Gold cartridge and insert it into the GBx plugin, the save is erased (it didn't do that with Pokemon Crystal though; I opened up PKX Delta and got it to successfully read the Crystal save; on a similar note Rhydon was able to read my saves for Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow).  Is this a battery issue?  If so, I know of one local place that I *think* can do battery replacements for Game Boy games.
Support / Re: Certain GBA Titles Work while others dont...
« Last post by Zerker on 15/Apr/2017 11:08:22 AM »
There are three very common issues you will need to ensure you have addressed.

1) The voltage switch inside the SNES slot needs to be set to 3.3V. This is likely the most common cause of data corruption/invalid names/checksums/etc.
2) If the above is correct, but you are still getting corruption, try cleaning the cart contacts. The Retrode can sometimes be more sensitive than a real GBA. Use a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol.
3) For many games, the Retrode does not detect the correct size, and thus ends up missing game content. You should cross-check against an independent list (I recommend http://offlinelistgba.free.fr/ ), and use the force system/force size fields to correct this.
Support / Certain GBA Titles Work while others dont...
« Last post by AGBYOU on 10/Apr/2017 04:04:54 PM »
I've been having fun finding out what the Retrode is capable of, even though its a purchase of about 4 years, I'm still discovering neat ways to utilize it for things like streaming. I've been able to get it to work from a router all the way  over to a console loader so its like having a gameboy player without the add-on.

I can have it hooked up to my PC or directly to the router through its USB slot, which helps me keep track of the dates
and times for saves. This is also helpful when I have a bulk of video recording projects or something as simple as having a friend that owns the original console hardware. We can play without the hassle of memorizing what we are and are not supposed to bring just to enjoy a gaming session of Donkey Kong.

With that said, I'm discovering some of the limitations. I suppose its to be expected with any aftermarket format, you have to work around the hardware and go by its rules so as to familiarize what you're working with. So first I learned that the Super Gameboy isn't compatible (for reasons I discovered on this site) and now I'm working with the Gameboy Advance Genesis adapter. I'm thinking maybe the issue is the extra utility involved?

I discovered that you have to ensure the specific market file sizes to get it to work properly. Games like Mario Kart Super Circuit will hiccup in game and Pokemon won't even show up without having the appropriate save setting in an emulator (Original hardware bypasses this for dummies like me)

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7jtj2njytnax805/CaptureB.PNG

http://www.mediafire.com/view/75hn0b5bj1dubwq/CaptureC.PNG

Its a whole thing to get past this and have it just right, but I did my homework and rediscovered all the values and distinguished the difference between EEPROM and Flash etc. but its not until I came across this message that I got some better insight on the underlying problem.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/depjk0j879is7bx/CaptureA.PNG

Sometimes the name of the game shows up partially, and sometimes its like the system is half asleep trying to interpret it, but in both cases it seems like its trying to give the right results. This is the first time I've used No$GBA as an emulator, others just show up as a blank white screen when trying to play games like Metroid Zero Mission.

In this case, I'm really captivated by the idea of playing Golden Sun. I'm worried about other games showing a similar exception, like it might be a an ordeal trying to understand the Hexadecimal behind it all. Where to I begin with this kind of error? I'm willing to learn- I do all my homework if the end result is plain enough to shoot towards.
General Discussion / Re: Things I'm currently working on
« Last post by skaman on 09/Apr/2017 05:47:35 PM »
I hope the SNES fixes allow my SA-1 adapter to work properly with Retrode.
« Last post by MasterOfPuppets on 09/Apr/2017 03:59:24 PM »
Always great to see update to the Retrode. Thanks for all your hard work!
« Last post by Sylver on 08/Apr/2017 08:53:47 PM »
Nice plans ! Thanks for your work !
General Discussion / Things I'm currently working on
« Last post by Wannado on 08/Apr/2017 08:17:38 PM »
Dear Retrode community,

in this post, I'd like to tell you about my recent activities and my plans regarding the Retrode firmware.

justin89's patch

You may have heard about the patch that justin89 submitted long time ago. I want to finally try and merge it into the firmware, step by step. To simplify that, I've split the patch up by the features it contains:
  • A way to force HiRom or LoRom addressing for SNES games.
  • A way to read/write the saves of the SNES games Brain Lord and Robotrek.
  • Support for reading/writing SRAM and Flash saves of GBA games. (Also FRAM saves, but with issues.)
  • Support for reading/writing SRAM saves of N64 games. (Also reading FRAM saves, but the results don't seem correct.)

The small features 1 and 2 will be included (in a modified form) in the next release I'll publish. See also "Plans" below.

Config file optimization

At the moment, I'm optimizing the config file. This is motivated by justin89's patch (which includes new config options) and other things.

To save buffer space, I've removed most of the help comments from the config file. As a replacement, I want to add a separate help file with more detailled descriptions (compressed, read-only). However, the current draft is still rather large even in compressed form. Apart from that, I've reduced the size of the parsing and printing code significantly.

Still issues saving to Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force from Kega Fusion

After the release of v0.21-beta, gliitch had reported that saving in above Mega Drive games still doesn't fully work for him (using Kega Fusion). The issues are the same as with v0.20-beta. Despite gliitch's assistance, I haven't been able to find the cause of the problems yet. See also below.

Plans

These are the things I'll try and do in the near future, approximately in that order:
  • Finish the config file optimization (hopefully this weekend).
  • Add diagnostic features to help analyze the Kega saving issues (maybe this weekend or the next).
  • Make a new release before the end of April.
  • Take a closer look at features 3 and 4 of justin89's patch and maybe merge them (hopefully in May). Make a new release afterwards.
  • Continue work on the NES plug-in (possibly starting in May):
    • Design improved PCB.
    • Attempt to integrate support into the standard firmware.
    • Maybe improve SRAM battery detection.
General Discussion / Re: Desperate for a retrode
« Last post by Ice Man on 13/Mar/2017 01:54:06 PM »
I have one I can sell you. I bought it from Dragonbox, too. Rarely used. PM for more infos.

Sorry, I just checked. I thought I still had one. :(
Support / Re: Planning to purchase a GBx plugin in the future...how good is it?
« Last post by Nori on 12/Mar/2017 04:40:57 PM »
The saves will be .srm, but you can copy them off the carts and rename them to .sav and I've tried once and doing the opposite and it works. In other words you can move them back by changing the .sav to .srm. All games I have backuped from the original carts and transferred back after changing batteries worked. I haven't encountered a game yet for gbc where saves didn't transfer properly, although in the past I had read that some Pokemon games (maybe it was Silver and Gold) may have had some issues with save transfering? Or was that a fixed problem now...
Support / Re: Retro Freak Gear Converter Compatibility
« Last post by blue22 on 12/Mar/2017 04:49:22 AM »
Got the Retron5 3-in-1 adapter ( https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Adapter-Game-Master-System/dp/B01NCX3KIO ) and used it with the retrode and it sometimes blinks red when i insert or remove a game gear cart, so the retrode does so of senses it (i was using an older firmware). but unfortunately it only produces a "generic-rom-in-slot" that doesn't run. Is there anyway to update the retrode firmware to be compatible with this device?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10