Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
So does it work as it should, besides the naming issue?
I am wondering if I have a problem with the firmware update.

I followed the steps in Windows7, but after installing the driver the device  was called AT90USB64 and not AT90USB646. I repeated the steps, but it did not change.

Does anybody know, if the name is just cut or does this lead to problems?
General Discussion / Re: SNES Enhanced Cart Support (BETA)
« Last post by Matthias_H on 11/Jul/2017 07:50:31 AM »
Looks really nice and tidy, congratulations! Kind of makes my visit obsolete, but if you want we can still hang out and I can bring you some Retrode goodies :)

Regarding the design: You may consider moving all SMD parts to the same side, since it will greatly reduce the cost of industrial manufacturing. Also, of course the edge-mounted female connector does not go well with the most common industrial soldering processes (wave, reflow). I used through-hole, 90° components for the "official" plug-in adapters, at the expense of a clumsier overall outcome...
« Last post by skaman on 10/Jul/2017 04:05:37 AM »
Finally got my small batch of the latest PCB version for the Enhanced Cart Adapter.  Using a handcut shell from a SNES Super Gameboy.

Parts mounted are simple:
Epson SG-615P in 3.072MHz
Epson SG-615P in 20MHz
PIC12F629 programmed with ikari's snescic-lock-resync.hex
3 100nF decoupling caps
1 10Kohm resistor
SNES cart connector from Aliexpress

« Last post by skaman on 01/Jul/2017 02:30:50 AM »
Interesting preliminary results. 

The CIC CLK is the key for cart recognition and proper reads.  I tested the frequencies around the reference 3.072MHz and both 2MHz and 4MHz appear to work.  Outside this range, the data becomes invalid.

The Master CLK appears to be valid within a wide frequency range. The Master CLK must be present for the SA-1 and Nintendo Power carts to work.  The lower limit seems to be around 4MHz.  I didn't bother to test the upper limit.

There's a possibility that a single frequency could be used for both clocks.  I ran the CIC CLK and Master CLK at 4MHz and the SA-1 and NP carts appeared to work on my Arduino reader, however, using a single 4MHz VCXO on one of my Enhanced cart adapters produced inconsistent results.  A slightly higher clock might work but you're operating at the edges for the two frequency ranges. I definitely wouldn't use a single clock for something that goes into production.

At least we now have an idea of the frequency options if the 3.072MHz is unavailable.  Like I mentioned previously, I have a decent quantity of the 3.072MHz VCXOs if any early adopters need one.  For the Master CLK, use the easy to find 20MHz VCXO as a substitute.
« Last post by skaman on 26/Jun/2017 06:42:43 PM »
I'll run some tests with my Adafruit Clock Generator setup to see what clocks work.  I know the Master CLK is pretty lenient.  I've run it at 16MHz, 20MHz, and 21.47727MHz.  I think the CIC CLK frequency is the key.  I'll try to test the limits of the range where it works.  With the Adafruit, there's a frequency fine tuning correction range where the CIC works but I didn't test the actual frequency limits.

As far as redesigning the circuit, I'll leave that up to the experts.  If people want to build my version of the adapter, then I can supply them with the 3.072MHz part.  I should have enough of the part to supply the early adopters.
« Last post by Matthias_H on 26/Jun/2017 10:22:20 AM »
The other two chips are VCXOs that supply the CIC CLK and Master CLK.  The clock chips are 3.072MHz for the CIC and 21.47727MHz for the Master CLK.  Since the 21.47727MHz is not readily available, I've substituted the common 20MHz version without a problem. 
Have you considered using non-voltage-controlled XO's? You should be able to find hundreds of thousands of different types on Digi-Key. It appears the system is quite tolerant with respect to these clocks, so if there is no need for precise tuning you might as well grab anything within 1-5% (or so) of the target frequency.
« Last post by ssokolow on 26/Jun/2017 01:10:37 AM »
I'm not sure if the adapter will go into production.  If it does go into production, then there might be design changes like replacing the VCXOs.  I built my circuit around the VCXOs after I found a supply of the 3.072MHz part.  I'm not an engineer so the VCXOs made things simpler for me.

I hope it goes into production. I'd certainly buy one.

(I never had time to build soldering skills I'd trust beyond "If I'd otherwise have to throw it out..." and, as mentioned, I'd really like to be able to stick a copy of Super Mario RPG into my retrode.)
« Last post by skaman on 23/Jun/2017 07:14:54 PM »
Yes, the adapter files will be released.  I'm waiting for the PCBs for the last revision.  Once I've confirmed the operation then I'll post the details.  I've already shared the schematics and prototype board layout with the other devs.

The adapter is constructed as a passthru device that sits in the slot between the Retrode and cart.  It connects some of the pins missing from the Retrode.  The circuit is relatively simple consisting of 3 chips.  The main chip is the PIC 12F629 running ikari's snesCIC (snes-lock-resync) code.  The other two chips are VCXOs that supply the CIC CLK and Master CLK.  The clock chips are 3.072MHz for the CIC and 21.47727MHz for the Master CLK.  Since the 21.47727MHz is not readily available, I've substituted the common 20MHz version without a problem.  Aside from the chips, there's a pulldown resistor and decoupling caps.

I'm not sure if the adapter will go into production.  If it does go into production, then there might be design changes like replacing the VCXOs.  I built my circuit around the VCXOs after I found a supply of the 3.072MHz part.  I'm not an engineer so the VCXOs made things simpler for me.
« Last post by androda on 23/Jun/2017 11:20:40 AM »
Do you intend to release the board files for the enhanced adapter?  Just curious, because I made my own N64/GBx adapter from the design files that are publicly released.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10