Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: N64 Save Support (FW v0.23)
« Last post by skaman on 05/Nov/2017 06:46:19 PM »
Yes, single wire from CLOCK pin to the cart edge connector.

I was going to do the mod anyway since the CLOCK is needed for the GG EEPROM save carts.  I didn't know about it also being needed for some Codemasters carts.

The SMS connector also lacks the CLOCK connection.  I'm waiting on a SMS Codemasters cart to check before I add that connection.

I'll document everything if I get it working.  I'm going to release the SMS/GG BETA as is since it isn't my code that is the problem.  If I can get the CLOCK mod working then I'll release an updated BETA with any code changes.
« Last post by RazorX2014 on 05/Nov/2017 05:53:14 PM »
Yes, SEGA SMS/GG BETA firmware should be distributed to the BETA test group later today.

UPDATE:  There will be a delay in distributing the SMS/GG BETA.  I picked up a GG Codemasters cart (Micro Machines) that doesn't read properly with the Codemasters code that I implemented for GG Ernie Els Golf.  More testing to do...

UPDATE:  Looks like some Codemasters carts need the CLOCK for the mapper to work properly.  GG Ernie Els dumps properly without the CLOCK but others may not.  Unfortunately, the GG CLOCK pin is not connected on the production SMS adapter.
how easy can this be added, would it just be a single wire?
Support / Cannot grab sram from Game Boy Camera
« Last post by sirmirkr on 04/Nov/2017 09:34:53 PM »
Hello,

I've been trying to grab the sram from my GB Camera but without success. On firmware versions .18d-beta3 and newer, the sram file is not detected by the Retrode 2 at all; on older firmware versions, the sram is shown but at an incorrect size of 1024 kB (it should be 128 kB, right?). I tried the Game Boy Camera Dump program with this 1024 kB sram file anyway, but it only showed the game face from the cart, and all 30 pictures were garbled. The save and photos on the cart are still intact.

In the retrode.cfg I've tried setting the force detection as below, but it hasn't helped with the sram file:

[forceSystem] gboy
[forceSize] 128
[forceMapper] 0

I've read through these topics but haven't had much luck either:

http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,295.msg1952.html#msg1952

http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,324.msg2188.html#msg2188

http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,335.msg2334.html#msg2334

I'm loving the new N64 save support, by the way.
« Last post by skaman on 04/Nov/2017 01:00:45 AM »
Yes, SEGA SMS/GG BETA firmware should be distributed to the BETA test group later today.

UPDATE:  There will be a delay in distributing the SMS/GG BETA.  I picked up a GG Codemasters cart (Micro Machines) that doesn't read properly with the Codemasters code that I implemented for GG Ernie Els Golf.  More testing to do...

UPDATE:  Looks like some Codemasters carts need the CLOCK for the mapper to work properly.  GG Ernie Els dumps properly without the CLOCK but others may not.  Unfortunately, the GG CLOCK pin is not connected on the production SMS adapter.
« Last post by Pat1986 on 03/Nov/2017 04:31:35 PM »
Great release. Was fun testing all my cartridges. Now, let's go on to Master System!  ;D
« Last post by BadHombre on 03/Nov/2017 04:24:31 PM »
*buys Retrode immediately*

You guys are incredible... What a feat! Thank you for all of your hard work and commitment to this project.
General Discussion / Re: Progress on N64/GBA save support?
« Last post by skaman on 03/Nov/2017 12:45:22 PM »
Public release of N64 Save Support Firmware v0.23 is here:  http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,382.0.html
General Discussion / N64 Save Support (FW v0.23)
« Last post by skaman on 03/Nov/2017 12:43:27 PM »
Announcing the public release of the N64 Save Support Firmware v0.23.  This firmware adds the ability to read and write N64 saves (SRAM, FlashRAM, and EEPROM).  In addition, the N64 cart heuristics code was modified and cart size recognition should be improved.

N64 EEPROM save support should work with the production N64 plugin.  The prototype N64/GBx plugin needs modification to add 2 connections - CLK and S_DAT.  More details here:  http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,154.msg2625.html#msg2625

I want to give a HUGE THANKS to the BETA testers.  As a group, the testers tested dozens, if not hundreds, of carts during the firmware development.  This firmware would not have been possible without their testing and feedback.

A few notes on using the firmware:
1)  When reading N64 carts, please set the voltage to 3.3V. 
2)  Remember the [saveReadonly] setting in the Config file.  Set it to 0 if you plan to write to the save file.
3)  Writes to FlashRAM and EEPROM16K save files take longer.  DO NOT RESET OR UNPLUG THE RETRODE WHILE THE LED IS ON.
4)  SRAM (.SRA) and FlashRAM (.FLA) save files need to be saveswapped to be used in Project64 (PJ64) and other emulators.
     EEPROM (.EEP) save files do not need to be saveswapped.
5)  Save swap programs are available here:
     saturnu's ED64-Saveswap:  https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/tree/master/extras/saveswap
     ssokolow's portable (cross-platform) alternative:  https://github.com/ssokolow/saveswap
6)  There is NO SUPPORT for Reproduction N64 carts.  Most reproduction carts will have problems either with cart recognition or accessing saves.  YMMV.

Here's the summary of the firmware changes:
Code: [Select]
v0.23 (2017-11-03)
- Changes by skaman:
-- N64 Saves!
-- Added N64 SRAM save support.
-- N64 SRAM carts should be identified by Cart ID and
   display the .SRA file.  The .SRA file can be read
   and written.
-- Added proper Dezaemon 3D 768Kbit SRAM support.
-- Added identification of the Hoshi no Kirby 64 (J)
   savetype based on the ROM version.  v1.0 & v1.1 are
   SRAM,  1.2 & v1.3 are EEPROM4K.
-- Added N64 FlashRAM save support.
-- N64 FlashRAM carts should be identified by Cart ID
   and display the .FLA file.  The .FLA file can be read
   and written.
-- WARNING:  FlashRAM writes take time to complete as
   the chip must first be erased before writing to it.
   ** WHEN SAVING AN UPDATED .FLA FILE, DO NOT RESET **
   **** OR UNPLUG THE RETRODE WHILE THE LED IS ON! ****
-- Added N64 EEPROM save support.
-- N64 EEPROM carts should be identified by Cart ID and
   display the .EEP file.  The .EEP file can be read
   and written.
-- WARNING:  EEPROM16K writes take time to complete.
   ** WHEN SAVING AN UPDATED .EEP FILE, DO NOT RESET **
   **** OR UNPLUG THE RETRODE WHILE THE LED IS ON! ****
-- Added reading of the N64 Gameshark.  When a working
   Gameshark is attached, the Gameshark.z64 ROM will be
   displayed.
-- Fixed the N64 heuristics code to recognize 20MB and
   40MB games.  These were previously overlooked by the
   code.  Fixes Donald Duck Goin' Quackers, Paper Mario,
   and Ogre Battle 64.
-- Fixed the N64 heuristics code for underdumps of Body
   Harvest and Paper Mario (E).  Modified the addresses
   checked to determine the cart size.
-- Modified the Config file to change the save file
   write protection setting from "[sramReadonly]" to
   "[saveReadonly]".  The change was made since the
   same setting is applied to all save types including
   SRAM, FlashRAM, and Controller Pak save files.
-- Modified the Config file's default N64 ROM extension
   to ".z64".  This is the correct extension for the
   native big endian format output by the Retrode.
-- WARNING:  THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR REPRODUCTION N64
   CARTS.  MOST REPRODUCTION CARTS WILL HAVE CART
   RECOGNITION PROBLEMS AND/OR SAVE PROBLEMS.  YMMV.

The v0.23 firmware is available here:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/7gxgtbl0co7m0b8/Retrode-v0.23.zip
General Discussion / Re: Progress on N64/GBA save support?
« Last post by Limero on 02/Nov/2017 04:43:50 PM »
Hello, The following is based on BizHawk Mupen 64 Core exploration done a while back..  :)

Mupen64 uses its own format for savedata where all savetypes are stacked together into a single file.
To import a save, one needs to hack the raw save data into appropriate offset. I have included the Mupen64 method used for loading save ram and the offsets/file sizes needed.

Code: [Select]
EXPORT void CALL load_saveram(unsigned char * src)
{
memcpy(eeprom, src, 0x800);  --> Size 2048 bytes
memcpy(mempack, src + 0x800, 4 * 0x8000); ---> Size: 131072 + 2048 = 133120 bytes
memcpy(flashram, src + (0x800 + 4 * 0x8000), 0x20000); ---> Size: 131072 + 2048 + 131072= 264192 bytes
memcpy(sram, src + (0x800 + 4 * 0x8000 + 0x20000), 0x8000);  --> Size: 2 * 131072 + 2048 + 32768= 296960 bytes
}

One can use it by first creating an empty Mupen64 (stacked) save file and then separating and reconstructing the offsets with eg. gnu head/tail/pipe redirection commands.

Eeprom works just by renaming the raw save file because it is located first in the stacked save file.

The previous is of course after possible byte-swapping.

I think that's specific to the libretro core. I know my standalone copy of Mupen64Plus (as included in the repos for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) handles it the same way PJ64 does and, while researching to write the Python script, I remember reading that the libretro Mupen64Plus core requires special provisions compared to other N64 emulators.

(That said, thank you for clarifying what it's actually doing differently. I never did get around to tracking that information down. Once I have time to get back to working on it and finish the nearly-completed optional GUI frontend, I'll install the libretro core, do some testing, and add an option to convert to/from that.)
Thank you! The script as it is today is fantastic and support for converting to the Libretro core would make it even greater!
General Discussion / Re: Retrode2 NES Plugin Adapter - EPIC WANT!
« Last post by Wannado on 01/Nov/2017 12:10:04 PM »
Is anybody developing a NES cart adapter for the Retrode2?
I know another forum mentioned it, but I believe this should have its own topic. EPIC want!

I once created a prototype and a special firmware for a Retrode NES plug-in. It works well, but the prototype's design is not ready for production of even a small batch. My progress became slower and slower until I finally halted my work on everything Retrode related earlier this year. And I still cannot tell you if and when I will resume it.

If anyone wants to pick up where I left off, see these posts:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10