Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Support / Firmware Update Hoops to jump through (Windows Good, Linux Sad)
« Last post by Land95 on 10/Sep/2018 02:55:39 AM »
I first attempted to update the Retrode v2 firmware using the Linux instructions outlined here: http://www.retrode.org/documentation/firmware/

1 -Install dfu-programmer.
2 -If you have any other flashable AVR devices plugged in (if you don’t know, you probably don’t), unplug them, as dfu-programmer gets confused if it finds more than one flash target.
3 -Hold down RESET button. Hold down the HWB button. Let go of RESET button. Finally, let go of HWB as well.
4 -At a command line, run “dfu-programmer at90usb646 get product-revision” (without the quotes). If you get the error “dfu-programmer: no device present”, try running as the root user. If you still get that error, repeat step 5.
5 -Run “dfu-programmer at90usb646 erase” (without the quotes). If you needed to run dfu-programmer as root in step 6, you will need to do so in this step as well.
6 -Run “dfu-programmer at90usb646 flash /path/to/retrode/firmware.hex” (without the quotes, and obviously use an appropriate path). If you needed to run dfu-programmer as root in step 6, you will need to do so in this step as well.
7 -When the programming is done, hit the RESET button or cycle the USB connection. As tempting as it may seem, do NOT run “dfu-programmer at90usb646 start”.

However it turns out as of the 9th of  sept 2018 finding DFU for Ubuntu is no easy task.

Eventually I sourced it https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+package/dfu-programmer
And while I was able to return valid info from the get product-revision, at the erase step this would always fail.

Next, I tried updating the firmware using Windows 7 & 10 – both had the problems listed here: http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,156.0.html

This would manifest when the Retrode v2 was put into programming mode (hold reset, hold HWB, release reset, release HWB) and windows would throw a USB device not reconized message.   In FLIP an error indicating Could not open USB device would be thrown.

The solution
1 -look in the task managers device, Right click, Details, HardwareID. 
2 -Go to Regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\VIDPIDREV (where VID/PID/REV are numbers from the HardwareID)
3 -Add a new Dword32 titled SkipBOSDescriptorQuery and set its value to 1. 

More info can be found here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2013/11/25/why-does-my-usb-device-work-on-windows-8-0-but-fail-on-windows-8-1-with-code-43/

Now firmware updates on Windows 10 or 7 work just fine
General Discussion / Re: SEGA SMS/GG Firmware (FW v0.24)
« Last post by skaman on 10/Sep/2018 12:38:57 AM »
Ok.  I got the problem SG-1000 carts dumping with the Mark III plugin.  I created a forceSystem setting "sg" for these SG carts.  These carts need a specific configuration to read out properly.  I still need to decide whether to implement forceSize or simply dump 0x10000 (65536) bytes when using the SG setting.

I've merged the code into the current BETA v0.26 firmware.   I'll be doing some testing before I send it out to the test group.

EDIT:  Implemented the forceSize setting for the "sg" forceSystem.  forceSize uses KB size.  Looking at the No-Intro SG-1000 set, valid sizes are 8/16/24/32/40/48 KB.  Defaults to 64KB.
General Discussion / Re: SEGA SMS/GG Firmware (FW v0.24)
« Last post by skaman on 09/Sep/2018 06:32:37 AM »
FYI, Peter byemu (famulator)'s "Lithium"/"Tengu" MD dumper seems to be electrically compatible with skaman's Retrode2 Mark III plugin. Using that combination, I was able to dump five problematic SG-1000 cartridges (Orguss, Star Jacker, Girl's Garden, Flicky, and Congo Bongo.) I'm not yet sure why the Retrode2 only sees 0xFF for these, but at least there does exist a Mass Storage-compatible dumper that can read them. Note that the dumps will need to be deinterleaved (discard all even byte locations, they all read as 0xFF) and truncated (these old games are headerless, they all seem to work with final length 32768 bytes.)

I picked up copies of Girl's Garden, Flicky (Rev 1), and Congo Bongo (Rev 1).  Like bsittler stated, the Retrode with Mark III plugin will not read out these SG-1000 carts.  I used sanni's MD cart reader with the Mark III plugin to read the carts out.  The dumped files need to be split between even and odd bytes.  The odd bytes will contain the ROM data.

I'll try to figure out what is going on with these SG-1000 carts on the Retrode but no promises...
Support / Re: Retroarch Won't Detect GBA Roms Ripped From Retrode
« Last post by GalaxyDreamer90 on 08/Sep/2018 07:27:13 PM »
Thanks so much. The hardest part was finding the correct size for each of my gba games but now retroarch is detecting them all.
« Last post by HamsterExAstris on 08/Sep/2018 05:37:50 PM »
The Retrode.cfg documentation explains how. You need to set both forceSystem and forceSize.

The correct size varies per game. You would need to research specific titles for the correct value.
« Last post by GalaxyDreamer90 on 08/Sep/2018 02:39:05 PM »
How do I do that? Sorry if this is kind of a newb question. And what would be the right size by the way?
« Last post by HamsterExAstris on 08/Sep/2018 12:30:57 AM »
The Retrode often isn't able to detect the correct size for GBA cartridges. Make sure the ROMs you have are the expected size; and if not, update retrode.cfg to specify the right size and re-rip them.
I have tried ripping my gba games with my retrode so I can play them on the computer using retroarch but retroarch won't detect most of my gba games. Any suggestions.
General Discussion / Re: Progress on N64/GBA save support?
« Last post by neogeo567 on 04/Sep/2018 11:13:55 PM »
are there any plans for grabbing gba sram? or is that out of the question.
General Discussion / Re: N64 Save Support (FW v0.23)
« Last post by Land95 on 04/Sep/2018 06:18:37 PM »
Thank you!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]