Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
This possible solution was posted in another thread:
Hi!

I had this problem too, looks like it is a common problem not limited to the retrode.
Following the instructions there brought me fúrther, problem is described there:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/26/why-does-my-usb-device-work-on-windows-8-0-but-fail-on-windows-8-1-with-code-43.aspx, go straight to the Workaround! You can search for the following sentence: "To apply the workaround for a specific device, add a REG_DWORD value named SkipBOSDescriptorQuery that"

(Though I am not done with flashing yet, at least no usb error and usb connection can be opened.)

edit: Flashing is now working.
This workarround worked for me. I was able to enter DFU mode and install drivers but Flip always threw an error on connecting. I suggest adding this piece of information to firmware update instructions if it is not too much of a hassle.

Using Win10 pro x64 in case that ring any bells.

Regards.
Hello,

I finally got my hands on a retrode, and I am quite interested on dumping N64 sram saves, which afaik was covered on justin89's patch (points 3 and 4) but you were unable to merge them due to lack on time.

I did not see any mention regarding this on skaman's post, which seems focused to bring better SNES compatibility (an interesting feature for sure, but not a priority for me personally) among other features.

Is there any way I can help? I have some prior experience with small-to-medium C/C++ projects, although not at the low level I assume is used here.
Support / Re: Windows 10 and the Retrode 2
« Last post by Schatzy23 on 09/Aug/2017 05:57:35 AM »
You have inspired me to find the fix!  I was looking at the wrong program folder the whole time!

Once I discovered that, I did some work with an old PC that has XP installed on it.  I got the device to be renamed to AT90USB64, and walked through the rest of the steps with FLIP and walla, the PC finally recognized the device as the Retrode.  I even booted up an emulated and tested out a game real quickly and everything works as intended.

Thank you!!
Support / Re: Windows 10 and the Retrode 2
« Last post by skaman on 09/Aug/2017 05:21:07 AM »
AtlibUusbDfu.dll should be in the FLIP folder under \bin

For example,  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin\AtLibUsbDfu.dll"
Support / Windows 10 and the Retrode 2
« Last post by Schatzy23 on 09/Aug/2017 05:02:52 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I've been struggling all night to get my PC to recognize my Retrode 2.  The computer keeps stating that the device cannot be recognized.  I unplug and replug it in.  It states that the device currently has the best drivers available and Code 43 shows up.  When I try following the forum listed below to maybe update the firmware, my computer won't let me get past step 3 as the device just will not recognize.  Link: http://www.retrode.org/documentation/firmware/

I get the following error messages from FLIP using Windows 10: "AtJnilsp Message: AtLibUsbDfu.dll not found."  I then clicked "OK" and am greeted by this message: "SettingsMenuHandler: Cound not load dynamic library."

I'm out of ideas on what to do.  Can anyone help?  If you need more info, please let me know and I'll try to provide more.
This possible solution was posted in another thread:
Hi!

I had this problem too, looks like it is a common problem not limited to the retrode.
Following the instructions there brought me fúrther, problem is described there:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/26/why-does-my-usb-device-work-on-windows-8-0-but-fail-on-windows-8-1-with-code-43.aspx, go straight to the Workaround! You can search for the following sentence: "To apply the workaround for a specific device, add a REG_DWORD value named SkipBOSDescriptorQuery that"

(Though I am not done with flashing yet, at least no usb error and usb connection can be opened.)

edit: Flashing is now working.
Hey there,

I am wondering if I have a problem with the firmware update.

I followed the steps in Windows7, but after installing the driver the device  was called AT90USB64 and not AT90USB646. I repeated the steps, but it did not change.

Does anybody know, if the name is just cut or does this lead to problems?

It seems like I have the same / a similar problem. I followed the steps in Windows 10 and got the same result.

So does it work as it should, besides the naming issue?

It did not work for me because the device named AT90USB64 was not listed in Flip. Does anybody know a solution for this issue?
General Discussion / Re: Finally: New Plugins in stock
« Last post by Wannado on 27/Jul/2017 10:05:43 PM »
Well, if it was only the PCB layout, I'd probably have done it myself long ago. But there are a few issues with the prototype design that I wanted to solve before creating the production PCB:
  • The prototype connects NES signals CPU R/W, PRG /CE, PPU /R and CPU M2 (cartridge) to MD signals VA20 .. VA17 (Retrode). The Retrode can change all of those signals at once. IIRC, connecting M2 to VA17 also had the reason to minimize the total wire length of the M2 connection in the prototype.

The problem here is that CPU M2 is high active. The current initial state of the Retrode has VA20 .. VA17 all high, which could cause a NES cartridge to enable outputs of an SRAM chip, if present (connected to the lower data byte MD pins). Initializing VA17 to low might not be ideal either, because that would enable something on SMS cartridges (/MC-F). So, VA17 wasn't the best choice for M2.

The Retrode 1 has gamepad signals on VA20 .. VA17. They are also connected on the N64 plug-in.

• In the prototype, NES signal PPU /W is pulled high, not connected to any MD signal. But there's a game which uses CHR RAM for savegames, and PPU /W would be required for writing to that CHR RAM. So I wanted to add a connection for PPU /W. It might also be useful for detecting whether a game has CHR ROM or CHR RAM.

• I considered connecting the NES signal CIRAM A10 to the GND pin A32 of the MD connector, which the Retrode uses for cartridge detection. This might allow the Retrode to quickly and easily detect that the connected cartridge is a NES game, and which mode of "nametable mirroring/arrangement" it uses (an information for the .nes file header). But I can't say for sure that it would work with all NES games. E. g., some mapper might block the signal until initialized.

• I considered reordering some of the address and data lines to make routing easier (more parallel, less crossing wires). The firmware would have to reorder the address and data bits accordingly.

• I never measured the power consumption of the Retrode with a NES cartridge inserted.

Nevertheless, having a professional designer create the new PCB layout seems like the only realistic way to get it done soon. So, go ahead. Maybe the designer can prepare the PCB for later modding with respect to the above mentioned issues. Or maybe someone else with good knowledge of the NES and Retrode has suggestions how to address those issues.

I'll try and help as much as I can. I'll send you a PM with additional information.

See the files attached to my original post about the prototype. The relevant schematic is "retrode-sega-to-nes-without-ics-v2a.sch". The "... pin assignments.txt" file contains roughly the same information. The lbr files will be required for making the PCB (brd file), too.
The files "nes-and-sega-to-pads-v3a.*" describe the prototype PCB and are quite useless for the new design.
General Discussion / Re: Works on Wii U
« Last post by Retrode64 on 27/Jul/2017 12:28:39 AM »
Thank you.
General Discussion / Works on Wii U
« Last post by newbie2 on 23/Jul/2017 11:03:07 PM »
For those that have a Wii U and have set up homebrew, retrode does work with the fat32 verison of mocha + retroarch!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10