Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Support / Re: SNES controller support, Linux
« Last post by ssokolow on 31/Aug/2017 05:53:54 PM »
OK, here's what progress I've made.

I'm still trying to figure out the proper way to trigger generation of a /dev/input/jsX device node in [HIDMode] 1;, but I've figured out how to keep it from waggling the mouse around if you want the "4Joy+Mouse" mode without the mouse. (I wasn't thinking "shell script" enough. Using ="" rather than ="0" to disable the "is a mouse" indicators works.)

Here's the updated udev rule...

Code: [Select]
SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{name}=="Retrode UG Retrode", MODE="0666", ENV{ID_INPUT_MOUSE}="", ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="", ENV{ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK}="1"
...and here's what I tested with it:
  • A Super Famicom controller with AntiMicro (an example of something based on SDL2)
  • An N64 controller with Blast Corps in Project64 (an example of a Windows application in Wine)
  • A Super Famicom controller with Super Mario World in Snes9x-GTK (because it's a combination you might actually want to use)

I couldn't test under Retroarch because I have no idea how I got it configured in the first place (it's ignoring input from mouse, keyboard, and unrecognized joysticks for me).

As for mednafen, it doesn't recognize /dev/input/eventX input, but it should be possible to work around that by using xboxdrv in the mode where it acts as a Linux equivalent to x360ce. (Raw /dev/input/eventX in, fake XBox 360 controller /dev/input/jsX and /dev/input/eventX out.)

I'd offer a config to do that, but I'd like to see if I can come up with a proper fix before I resort to that. (I have dedicated NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, etc. controller adapters that I normally use because I can mount them to the underside of my desk, and a genuine Microsoft XBox 360 controller, so I've never bothered to learn how to configure xboxdrv to remap things.)

That said, I thought I remembered the Retrode working as a non-bothersome way to use a Genesis controller with mednafen and it turns out that switching to [HIDMode] 2; (2Joy) produces the working /dev/input/jsX that I remembered. (If you want a simple way to edit it, Leafpad works for me.)

HIDMode 2 also works with the http://html5gamepad.com/ link you posted, so I can only assume that browsers are depending on the legacy interface on Linux.

Finally, I did test [HIDMode] 1;'s /dev/input/eventX nodes with a Genesis controller and it appears that, while the raw input is detected by SDL2 and does show up in AntiMicro's joystick-mapping UI, everything but the D-Pad is on such high button numbers (eg. 50) that neither the Wine joystick control panel nor AntiMicro itself are compatible. (xboxdrv may be a solution, though I haven't tested it.)
Support / Re: SNES controller support, Linux
« Last post by ssokolow on 31/Aug/2017 02:13:32 PM »
Bear in mind that /dev/input/jsX is the legacy joystick interface, which a lot of modern, SDL2-based games don't support, so it's not a reliable indicator of whether the problem has been fixed.

That said, I've confirmed the problem with my Retrode and started poking at "aftermarket" fixes.

I haven't managed to unhook the mouse handler from it yet, nor get it to appear as a jsX node, but I did manage to get the eventX node to show up as a joystick in AntiMicro (a superior, cross-platform joy2key competitor which uses SDL2 for its backend that I sometimes prefer over games' internal joystick support).

To replicate my progress so far, create a file named /etc/udev/rules.d/99-retrode-controller.rules and put this line into it:

SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{name}=="Retrode UG Retrode", MODE="0666", ENV{ID_INPUT_MOUSE}="0", ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="0", ENV{ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK}="1"
(the ENV{ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK}="1" is something I figured out after buying a Chinese NES controller adapter that wasn't showing up as a joystick.)

...then run this command...

sudo udevadm control --reload
...and then disconnect and reconnect your Retrode.

Normally, I wouldn't post until I'd finished experimenting, but I have to go AFK for several hours, so I thought I might as well give a status update now.
General Discussion / Re: RetroPi / more plugins
« Last post by ssokolow on 31/Aug/2017 02:12:05 PM »
EDIT: Oh yeah. The post I was replying to is a repost. I've moved this post to the original thread.
General Discussion / Re: Progress on N64/GBA save support?
« Last post by ssokolow on 31/Aug/2017 01:32:05 PM »
If you want to use your SRAM save in the PJ64 emulator, then you'll need to save swap the file.

You can use saturnu's ED64-Saveswap program:  http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1396.0

If have an Ocarina of Time save and want to check it without using an emulator, you can use this page:  https://bkacjios.github.io/OOT-Save-Converter/

After saveswapping the OOT .SRA, then use the first option "Import save file".  The save data will show in the bottom.  Click on the File# to see the details on each save slot.

I'm going to work on adding FlashRAM save reads.

In case any non-Windows users want an option that doesn't rely on Wine and can be incorporated into scripts, I whipped up a Python-based, GUI-less alternative to ED64-Saveswap:

https://github.com/ssokolow/saveswap

It's got a complete unit test suite and, aside from one minor usability wart I need to fix, it works with every save file I tested.

Given that some virus scanners seem prone to identifying EXE-ified AutoIt scripts (like ED64-Saveswap) as viruses, I'll probably put together a simple GUI version and py2exe it for Windows users at some point.
General Discussion / PC Engine/Turbografx plug in?
« Last post by Shwing on 28/Aug/2017 08:05:50 PM »
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was able to make a PC Engine plug in based on the pin layouts given on the Retrode website? I'm hoping to buy one if possible so I can dump my PC Engine and Turbografx games.
General Discussion / Re: SNES Enhanced Cart Support (FW v0.22)
« Last post by skaman on 28/Aug/2017 05:45:47 AM »
If anyone is interested in a prototype Enhanced Cart Adapter, then PM me for the details.  I have an adapter complete with cutdown Japanese SGB shell available.  I ran out of US SGB shells (like the one pictured) so I only have Japanese SGB shells left.

Thanks!
« Last post by newbie2 on 27/Aug/2017 11:59:53 PM »
Amazing work!
« Last post by skaman on 27/Aug/2017 11:49:30 PM »
Fixed Dezaemon 3D 768Kbit SRAM.  Modified the Config file to change "[sramReadonly]" to "[saveReadonly]" since the same setting is applied to all save files including SRAM, FlashRAM, and Controller Pak.
« Last post by skaman on 27/Aug/2017 06:28:39 AM »
Received my Dezaemon 3D cart from Japan.  My experimental SRAM code for its 768Kbit SRAM isn't working.  I'll need to locate the RAM within the address space and correct the masking.

I've gotten reports from some testers that the SRAM and FlashRAM is working for them.

One tester wanted me to mention that the CONFIG setting "[sramReadonly] 1    ; write protect SRAM? 0=no, 1=yes" affects the SRAM AND FlashRAM files.  Maybe I should change the setting to "[saveReadonly]"?

« Last post by skaman on 26/Aug/2017 10:18:22 PM »
N64 FlashRAM support is complete.  New BETA firmware is in the hands of the testers.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]