Author Topic: Just got a Retrode; few questions  (Read 40 times)

Offline Cupcake

• Baby Retrode
Just got a Retrode; few questions
« on: 22/Feb/2020 06:18:34 AM »
So, after wanting one for about a decade, I finally saw a Retrode 2 for sale on Stone Age Gamer and jumped on it (no add ons; I figure I can get those on fleabay).  I haven't even touched the controller ports yet and already I'm in love with the thing; but I have a few questions.

First off, is there any sort of centralized community other than here?  I mean this in the best way possible, but forums are kind of antiquated, and aren't the best solution for things like tracking firmware releases.  Perhaps a Discord or something could benefit the Retrode a lot.

Also, the documentation I could find on the Retrode.cfg file seems to be pretty outdated; any chance there's something more updated that details all the options for all the various systems?

On a related note; the Retrode I received does not have the expansion pins on the SNES/SFC slot, I anticipated this, and understand that as everything stands I will not be able to dump/use my copy of Star Fox.  However, I've seen that the firmware DOES in fact support these chips if you have a way to connect them.  This leads me to ask what my options are?  I have a dead SNES here, if I were to desolder that cartridge port, and solder it onto my Retrode in place of it's truncated SNES slot; would it function?  Would I be able to purchase the slot I need from somewhere?  Does it come in the form factor of another add on for this thing?  I genuinely just couldn't find anything beyond vague answers on here.

This also leads me to one final question; add ons?  What's available besides the 3 official ones?  I've seen a few people make some like the VirtualBoy add on; but I can't seem to find much on what's out there, and if anybody is still selling/has ever sold any of these add ons.  What's available for sale now in this the year 2020?

Thanks for your time.

Offline skaman

• Global Moderator
  • Sgt. Retrode
Re: Just got a Retrode; few questions
« Reply #1 on: 22/Feb/2020 08:00:47 PM »
Adding a full length SNES connector gains you nothing as the extra pins are not connected to the Retrode's processor.

You can use Star Fox and other SuperFX carts with the Retrode.  The SuperFX carts don't need the extra pins.

SA-1 carts (Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star, Kirby Dream Land 3, etc.) need the extra pins along with some additional hardware.  I made a SNES Enhanced adapter for the SA-1 carts that connects the extra pins as needed on the cart side (no modification on the Retrode side).

There are some unofficial add-ons that were made in small batches - SNES Enhanced (SA-1 read support), PCE/TG16, Neo Geo Pocket, Atari 2600, and Virtual Boy.

I made a few of the unofficial add-ons but I'm no longer actively producing them for sale.  There may be others that have different ones for sale.